Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Call

My cell phone rings, I check the caller ID as I pick it up to answer. Weird, I don’t recognize the number. But, it is the same area code as my mom, so I’ll answer it to find out who is on the other end.

“Hello, Tami?” a woman’s voice says on the other end. “Yes?” I answer my mind racing with who this could be.

“Hi, it’s Leta, your mom’s friend. Is this a good time to talk?” she asks.

“Oh, yea. Hi there,” I say with my heart jumping into my throat wondering what is wrong with mom.

“Your mom has some health issues,” she continues. “I told her that I was going to call you with or without her permission.”

“Ok,” I say waiting for the other shoe to drop. My heart racing and breathing becomes a challenge as I listened to the details. Searching for a piece of paper to scribble notes on with information that I know my brother and sisters will want to know. I thanked her for risking my mother’s wrath and calling me.

After hanging up, sitting like a wet rag in my office chair, I try to process it all and prioritize my thoughts and next steps. A cancerous lump on her neck, another seizure last week, surgery next week, she has been dealing with this for almost a month now - a nine hour drive from me, the nearest relative - with her friends doing their best to get her around (she doesn’t drive). The words swirl around in my head like wind-driven leaves. Gaahhh!

Call my husband! Call my sister! BUT FIRST – send out a prayer request to those faithful prayer-warrior friends of mine. You know, the ones that were put in my life to bless and love and encourage me.

Wait, why am I in such a panic? Hasn’t God known this was going to happen before the foundations of the universe? Before He lovingly knit my mother together in her mother’s womb, He knew, and He was already there. He knew… He was already there. He inhabits all of eternity and watches over His creation. He cares and is deeply involved in every little detail.

Aahh…they must be praying already. I can feel that ‘peace that passes understanding’ covering me like a sweet oil running down from the top of my head to the souls of my feet.

Yes, Lord. This is the day that you have made. I WILL rejoice and be glad in it! ALL for Your glory.


Psalms 91:1-2
1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Hope to see you again soon!